Friday, April 29, 2016

On PTSD and My New Life


   My company recently modified its security program to include "active shooter training". While I made it through the class, I wept through most of it, and needed to work from home for the remainder of the day afterward.
   When my husband was hit by a car, I was affected in such a way that makes violence, terror, and trauma, events I can't handle anymore. I can't watch those types of drama on TV or in the movies; the news is regularly so disturbing that I don't watch or read it. Today, we as a community casually talk about people being murdered, news agencies play footage of police shootings, even some sports are violent for me. Somewhere along the way, the fact that life is sacred was lost. The thought that bad things can happen to everyone is reinforced in all the media around us and it deeply affects me.
   I was not surprised when my husband was told he had PTSD. He was hit by a car! I think I'm dealing with secondary stress, though I'm self-diagnosing. The sound of an ambulance wail brings me to tears, so do babies crying in the market, and roadkill. The problem, I assume, is that I'm no longer innocent. I'm no longer one of the untouchables - those who float through their lives without anything extreme or tragic happening.
   The "worst case scenario" already happened when my husband's accident occurred and my family was affected. The abrupt change in our lives still affects me daily and I'm always on edge for what else will come along, which brings me back to my safety training at work, surrounded by my peers.
   In the sterile conference room, we had a lecture, followed by a graphic video. There was another lecture, and an even more graphic video. I watched bits and pieces of the first video, but the immediate shooting at the beginning of the second video caused me to avert my tear-filled eyes and stare at the floor until it was over. Thankfully, no one commented on my not paying-attention to the screen.
   The program concluded with our security director saying "if you are forced to fight, fight until it's over." I guess that's what I've been doing.

No comments:

Post a Comment