Sunday, April 24, 2016

On Being Grateful...



   Being grateful hits me in odd places sometimes, and I realize that the things I take for granted could be someone else's wish or prayer. I've woken up every morning, so far. I have wonderful children who strive to be good human beings. I love someone who loves me back. I have a roof over my head, food in my belly, and a warm place to sleep. For these things I'm thankful.
   I've met a lot of people on this TBI journey. Some of those have lingering effects from their injury and they struggle. No matter what age, TBI is never easy. Young people - the ones whose brains adjust most quickly to change - struggle with the loss of friends and have trouble in school. Older people struggle with the loss of identity and the adjustment to the changes taking place in their bodies.
   A little more than five years ago, my life was changed due to a TBI. My husband was not the man I married, but I changed too. Time has passed and the universe has been generous to us. We still like each other! Today, I am thankful for the passage of time. I'm also thankful for the kind hands and hearts that reached out to us along the way. Prayers for all who struggle, young and old.

No comments:

Post a Comment